Global Service Trip to Zhejiang
Enhance your leadership skills while becoming active, global citizens. The Global Service Trip is transformational for both individuals and communities.
US Zhejiang General Chamber of Commerce
Michigan Youth Empowerment Foundation
We are committed to providing unique and life-changing experiences that resonate deep within our students.
At a glance…
Date: 06/25/18 to 07/09/18
Program fee: $598*.
*Program fee covers the cost of the transportation, lodging, meals, tickets and isurance incurred in China. Airfare and Chinese visa fees are not included. MYE will refer you to our travel agency after your application is approved.
Age of volunteers: 15 or older
Final team size: 15 students and two adult chaperones. All applicants will be interviewed to be selected for final team. Chaperones’ program fee will be waived.
Language: Speaking mandarin is a plus but not required
Teaching subjects: STEAM education projects, along with musical and outdoor activities. Volunteers are required to attend four mandatory training sessions prior to departure.
Accommodations: 5-star hotels while in Hangzhou and high school dormitory while in mountain village of Bilian
Why Volunteer with the “Global Service Trip to Zhejiang”?
- Speaking in public – Selected participants will have opportunity to speak at the “2018 International TechYouth Forum” as guest speakers in front of over 1000 students, government officials and media.
- Community service: students will spend an estimated 60–100 hours on volunteer work. At the end of the program, students will receive a certificate stating the number of service hours completed.
- Total China trip valued at $1200 per person
- Superior support—partnered with local team in China, this brigade will ensure you feel supported every step of the way—from training in teaching material to guided sightseeing in Hangzhou, the city that represents the perfect harmony of ancient oriental beauty and vibrant modern innovation.
- Safety-first—volunteers are accompanied by adult volunteers from MYE foundation throughout the program. Volunteer safety is a top priority for the staff of this brigade.
- New friendships—15 American teenage volunteers will be in the company of friendly locals and like-minded volunteers who will quickly become your life-long friends.
- Epic experiences in Hangzhou—including Opening Ceremony to meet Zhejiang officials and visiting Alibaba, Shining 3D tech, China (Hangzhou) Artificial Intelligent Town, Qianjiang Light show, etc.
Zhejiang is one of China’s most affluent and most densely populated provinces. In 2017, Zhejiang’s provincial gross domestic product (GDP) reached RMB 5.2 trillion (823 Billion USD), the fourth highest in China. It has population around 55.64 million. Zhejiang’s main manufacturing sectors are electromechanical industries, textiles, chemical industries, food, and construction materials.
Itinerary – 15 days
From Jun 25 – July 9, 2018
Day 1 – Jun 25:
Day 2 – June 26:
Group arrives in Hangzhou (the Capital of Zhejiang Providence in China).
Day 3 – Jun 27:
Visit Zhejiang Merchants Museum and get inspired by the Zhejiang entrepreneurship spirit. Tour the World Heritage Site – West Lake, activities includes boat ride, fishing viewing at Flower Harbor, and jogging on Su Causeway.
Day 4 – Jun 28:
Visit China (Hangzhou) Artificial Intelligent Town. The Artificial Intelligence town has attracted 15 significant platform projects and over 90 innovation projects, from Alibaba, Baidu, Shanghai Jiao Tong University John Hopcroft Center for Computer Science, etc. Visit Xueyan Hu’s historical mansion built in 1872. It is known as the pinnacle of traditional Chinese garden and a proof of the apex of Hu’s career. Hu was one of the richest and most famous businessmen in Qing Dynasty (1639-1912). Watch CBD Qianjiang New City evening light show. Projected for 10 kilometers along riverside buildings and by combining modern audio, light and electrical technologies with Hangzhou’s cultural elements and natural landscape, the show highlights the most vibrant aspects of Hangzhou city.
Day 5 – Jun 29:
Visit Alibaba Group. Alibaba is the most popular destination for online shopping, in the world’s fastest growing e-commerce market. Transactions on its online sites totaled $248 billion last year, more than those of eBay and Amazon.com combined. Visit SHINING 3D, China’s first OTC company in the 3D digitizing and printing industry, specialized in the advancement of a 3D digitizing and printing ecosystem.
Day 6 – Jun 30:
Attend Welcome Ceremony in conjunction with the “2018 International TechYouth Forum”. Selected participants will also have opportunity to speak as guest speakers in front of over 1000 students, government officials and media. Visit Zhejiang University, ranks within the top 100 universities in the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings. It is one of China’s oldest and most prestigious comprehensive universities. For 120 years, it has never ceased its search for truth and pursuit of innovation. Experience an unparalleled open-air performance at a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Enduring Memories of Hangzhou is an astonishing cultural performance that takes place right on the surface of the water, combining music, dance, and light effects all against a stunning natural backdrop. This outdoor show was performed for G20 in October 2016.
Day 7 – Jul 1:
Arrive in Yongjia Bilian Town and meet up with the Chinese Volunteers. Bilian is an underserved village with an average annual income around $500 per person. Visit Mingao Hope Elementary School. The entire school only has 8 students. Seven of them are left-behind children who live with their grandparents at the village.
Day 8 – 12 (Jul 2 – 6):
Teach at Bilian High School and interact with the local kids.
Day 13 – Jul 7:
Day 14 – Jul 8:
Local cultural exploration. Travel back to Hangzhou
Day 15 – Jul 9:
Heading back to US
International Airfare (Airfare is not included in the program cost):
Contact: Lily Huang, (248) 626-8881
Chinese Visa (Visa fee is not included in the program cost):
China Travel Service Zhejiang Group, Co., Ltd.浙江中旅
The largest travel service company in Zhejiang