2021 Summer – Competition Math for Middle School
This program is designed for current middle schoolers (G5-7) to foster their interests and initiatives in learning mathematics and improve their mathematics skill for Mathcounts and AMC 8.
Class time: 9-10:30 am
Homework: 20-30 minutes each day
Office hour*: 4:00 -5:00 pm.
*There’s 1-hour of office hour on each class day where students can come to discuss the class materials or homework.
- Basic Algebra – Functions and basic polynomials (factoring, quadratic formula), Vieta’s, SFFT (Simon’s Favorite Factoring Trick), Sequences and Series
- Number Theory – Modular Arithmetic, Last Digit(s), Chicken Mcnugget Theorem
- Geometry – Area and Volume, Similarity and Congruency, Angle Bisector Theorem, Arcs, Coordinate Geometry
- Combinatorics – Basic counting/probability, casework, combinations/permutations, conditional probability, Stars and Bars
- Grade G5-G7
- Max Enroll 10
- Class Time 9:00 am – 10:30 am EST, 7/19-7/29 Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur (2 weeks, 8 sessions)
- Class Location Online
Jason Zhang, a rising 10th grader. He has represented the Michigan Mathcounts team in 2018,2019. Perfect score 2019 AMC 8, 4 times AIME qualifiers.
Michael Lu, a rising 9th grader. He has represented the Michigan Mathcounts team in 2019, perfect score 2019 AMC 8, 3 times AIME qualifiers.Both Jason and Michael have been teaching competition math for 2 years.
Brian Zhang is a rising 9th grader. His major math contest accomplishments include Bronze Prize Winner of 2019 Michigan Math Prize Competition (MMPC), a perfect score in 2019 AMC8 and Honor Roll of Distinction in 2020 AMC8, Honor Roll of Distinction (top 1% in the nation) in 2021 AMC10, and qualified for AIME in 2020 and 2021.