2021 Winter – 3D Design Level 1B (TinkerCad)
3D design is a powerful tool to practice Math and Design, encourage creativity and innovation, and promote critical thinking and problem-solving!
In this intro-level class, students will learn how to use a user-friendly platform called Tinkercad. By manipulating shapes and then adding or subtracting them from other shapes, students can turn their imagination into three-dimensional objects.
Students will learn basic 3D design knowledge and skills including:
- How to navigate work plane and move objects on X, Y, Z direction
- 3D design shortcuts to speed up your design process
- How to align, group, flip, and combine shapes
- Fillets & Chamfers
- Converting SVG files into 3D objects
- Color blocking
- Prepare your design for 3D printing
Students will utilize the knowledge to create projects like Name Plate, Dream House, Fidget spinners, Chess sets, Rainbow effect cartoon characters, Future city buildings, and finish the class off with a Pizza Store Roadshow presentation.
Tinkercad is a free, easy-to-use app for 3D design, electronics, and coding. It’s used by teachers, kids, hobbyists, and designers to imagine, design, and make anything! Since it became available in 2011 it has become a popular platform for creating models for 3D printing as well as an entry-level introduction to constructive solid geometry in schools.
Hardware Requirements: a mouse is recommended.
- Grade G3-G6
- Max Enroll 8
- Class Time 10:45 am - 12:15 pm EST, Sundays (1/31 - 5/9, no class on 2/14, 3/28, 4/4)
- Class Location Online