The first ever MakeX Spark Online Competition was an incredible experience and success for Michigan Youth Empowerment and our students. 24 mYe students participated in this competition over two age groups and 18 of them won prizes in different categories. We would like to congratulate the following students (in no particular order):
- Harrison Wu – Project Name: Plantern
- Rachel Liu – Project Name: Voice Controlled Night Light
- Isabella Liu – Project Name: iCar Light
- Phineas Moy – Project Name: Screen Time Light Timer
- Aaron Zhao – Project Name: COVID19 Care Mate
- David Zhao – Project Name: Manners Medal
- Mason Wang – Project Name: The Ultra Messenger
- Eric Zeng – Project Name: Multi-Function Bike Light
- Victor Li – Project Name: Smart Streetlights
- Andrew Zeng – Project Name: Smart Greenhouse
- Hannah Wang – Project Name: Angel Book Light
- Kyle Wu – Project Name: Smart Street Lights
- Jason Yuan – Project Name: LazyCat
- Ian Zhang – Project Name: Pokelights
- Sophia Shvartsman – Project Name: Disco Ball
- Josiah Luo – Project Name: Street Light
- Joseph Reeves – Project Name: The Door Light
- Jerry Wang – Project Name: Volume Controlled Light
Out of these awards, we even had one student receive the Young All-Rounder, Harrison Wu. The Young All-Rounder is awarded to the top 5 students in the entire competition. Harrison qualified for the MakeX World Championship!
Apart from 18 individual awards, two of our technical mentors received excellent mentor awards. mYe was also awarded one of the 5 Excellent Organization Awards.
We are so proud of every single one of our students who participated in MakeX Spark, especially during such a difficult time. Competition is not just about winning, but a learning process to bring the best out of ourselves. Through MakeX Spark, our participants enhanced their creativity, coding skills, presentation skills, drawing and persistency.
We would like to thank all of our mentors for putting in their time and effort to support our students during the 9 week mentorship period. Our students would not have been able to excel in this competition without their weekly guidance and advice.
Last but not least, we would like to thank MakeX for bringing such a fun learning experience to our students. We’re honored to be their partner for organizing the MakeX Competitions in the Michigan region.
We enjoyed working with all of you throughout this season and look forward to seeing you again in MakeX Spark 2021!
mYe MakeX Spark Team Lead